YORK STREET, DUKE OF YORK
(York St. Chambers)
This was originally called Rue A la Planque Billot, from the narrow bridge built in 1633, which forded the nearby brook opposite the Billot's house. It was later named after the Duke of York , brother of William IV, who reigned from 1830-1837. The plaque reads:- "THIS STREET WAS NAMED AFTER THE DUKE OF YORK, BROTHER OF WILLIAM IV"
For more information on the Duke of York please click here.