HALKETT PLACE, SIR COLIN HALKETT

Government House Plaque(Woolworth's)

This was the site of Government House from 1802-1822, where Sir Colin Halkett resided until he moved to the present Government House on St. Saviour's Hill. For more information on General Sir Colin Halkett please click here. (opens in new window). The plaque reads:- "GOVERNMENT HOUSE WAS ON THIS SITE FROM 1802 UNTIL 1822."

Government House Plaque location shot (Halkett Place)


HALKETT PLACE, SIR COLIN HALKETT

Sir Colin Halkett Plaque(Beresford Street/Halkett Place corner pillar of Market)

Originally laid down in 1822 as a private road - La rue du Nouveau Marché -after the market area had been developed. It was the site of Government House from 1802-1822. Then in 1825 it was made a public road and both it and the nearby street were named after Sir Colin Halkett, who had served with distinction at Waterloo. He was Lieutenant Governor from 1821-1830 and was the first to reside at the present Government House. For more information on General Sir Colin Halkett please click here. (opens in new window). The plaque reads:- "SIR COLIN HALKETT, LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR 1821-1830 SERVED WITH DISTINCTION AT THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO. THIS THOROUGHFARE AND A STREET BEAR HIS NAME."

Sir Colin Halkett Plaque location shot (Corner of Halkett Place and Beresford Street)