GROSVENOR STREET, LA MANOIR DE LA MOTTE (Demolished 1958)
(Grosvenor Court Flats 2 Grosvenor Street)
Built in the 15th century the building was first called the Manor of St. Helier. It Belonged, with its pigeon house, which gave Colomberie its name, in 1476 to Raulin Lemprière, who sold it that same year to Perrotin Tehy. Three centuries later, it became Government House and it was here, during the French invasion of Jersey in 1781, that the Lieutenant-Governor, Moses Corbet, was taken prisoner by the French. When taken to Baron de Rullecourt, Corbet surrendered Jersey to him. It was demolished in 1958 and replaced with the current apartment building. The plaque reads:- "MANOIR DE LA MOTTE. HOME OF THE LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR IN THE 18TH CENTURY. REMOVED 1958."